is located in the north of Argentina close to the Andes
, at the junction of the Río Grande de Jujuy and the Xibi Xibi River, 1,238 meters above sea level.
The city is the province‘s cultural and financial centre and home to the provincial government. Most administrative offices related to economic activities of the province are located here. These activities include petroleum extraction and pre-processing, sugarcane and sugar industry, tobacco, steel, citrus, and fruit and vegetable production. San Salvador de Jujuy
has a colonial city centre including the Cathedral and the Cabildo – and colourful Andean carnivals. The population of the province has a much more aboriginal character than the rest of the country, reflected in the predominant Quechua
, Chiriguano, and Aymara
cultures and people.
Tourist destinations not far from the city are Tilcara
(84 km), Humahuaca
(126 km), Salta
(120 km) and the Calilegua National Park
This city San Luis
lies at the feet of the Sierras Grandes, along the Chorrillos River, and is set in a Dry Pampas plateau around 730 m above sea level.
The city was founded in 1594, by Luis Jufré de Loaysa. The settlement was later abandoned, and was reestablished in 1632 by Martín García Oñez de Loyola. In 1882 the Argentine Great Western Railway reached the city on its way to Chile.
Points of interest in the city include the Park of the Nations, the neoclassical cathedral, a number of museums including the Dora Ochoa De Masramón Provincial Museum, and the colonial architecture. A number of landmarks honor the Argentine War of Independence, as well.
In the last years, San Luis has been working hard on its image as a modern city: All over the city there’s free Wi-fi available and the first ecological government-house of Argentina is placed in San Luis.
Fishing in the nearby Lake Potrero de los Funes, and other locations, is also popular. The Sierra de las Quijadas National Park is located 122 kilometres from the city. The city’s climate is dry, with July average temperature between 3 and 15 °C and January average between 18 and 31 °C.
Father Roque González de Santa Cruz established a town called Anunciación in 1615, but ten years later the settlement was moved to the other side of the Paraná River
to the present location of Encarnación, Paraguay. The first settlement (today Posadas
) was not completely abandoned, and in 1867, during the Paraguayan War, the Brazilians set up a military base there. Following the end of the war, Paraguay renounced all claims to the area, and in 1879, the town was renamed after Antonio de Posadas, the Supreme Director of the Argentine Confederation.
Today, Posadas is the capital city of the Argentine province of Misiones. It is located some 1,300 kilometers from Buenos Aires, at the banks of the Paraná River, opposite to Encarnación (Paraguay) and connected with it by bridge. The city has an area of 965 km² and a population of 324,756.
It is the provincial centre of the government, the economy and culture. Food, furniture, textile, tobacco and construction are its most important industries. Other important economical activities are services and commerce. The port of Posadas was once of great economical importance, today it is used only for carrier of passengers, sport vessels and boats for sand transport.